2/21/09

With or Without - YOU ARE


You don't need thought to be.
You don't need thought to live...(the heart beats with or without thought)
YOU ARE with or without thought.

See how effortlessly life flows with thought....and how thought is not needed at all. Thoughts are companions which attempt to make sense of this "life"....but they are not essential to Being. 

Whatever appears, including thought, is simply Being...appearing as separate "things."  Yet thoughts seem to have so much power!  They seem to become "sticky" as they orbit around the concept of "me."  Indeed, we could describe the "me" as simply a bundle of swirling thoughts stuck together as an idea (a mini-tornado!), but with no solid substance at all.  

But if it is seen that thought is just another aspect of This, a vibration of Be-ing, like a rose or a button, then it might also be seen that thoughts are, in fact, not "sticky" at all.  They just appear. They float.  Then they disappear.... what is there (here) to stick to??  What power do they have?

Today a plant in my room got watered.  Thoughts came which said that the plant needed water...then more thoughts came that said that "I" would do it tomorrow, then more thoughts appeared, images, etc...and a back and forth conversation of sorts seemed to occur.  Then those thoughts disappeared, and later it was noticed that the body simply moved and watered the plant.  Right on time, no thought needed.  How simple it can be, when thought is left to BE as it is....  "Life" simply moves, and "thought" does not do it, and neither does the idea of "you." 

Ahhh....FREEDOM !!  ;-))


13 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Mary,
yes, not sticky, but slippery! "It seems the nearer my destination, the more I keep slip-slidin' away" (Paul Simon)
Try to grasp one, and wrestle it into submission-ha! Such diaphanous creatures-look at the light that's shining through them-through your mind, right to my computer screen, and once again we know the connection that never was severed.....
Joyfully yours,

Peter

Peter said...

Hi Mary,
are you on Facebook? Another good way to share, I'm finding.

Mary said...

Hi Peter,
No, I'm not on Facebook, although I know that some who share this message are...

Love,
Mary

Roeland said...

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your beautiful post.
Thoughts come and go without any effect on the open space which is who we really are.

Love,

Roeland

Mary said...

Thank you, Roeland, for your comments and for visiting!

Love,
Mary

Leslie said...

Hi Mary,
The other day I was running some errands. On the way there I was thinking
that I could just be present in that errand. I was also wondering if I even needed thought to do that. Shortly after that musing I felt a deep peace…lots of space and bliss, even. There was so much freedom as I was going about this task.
My mind – or me – wants to ‘do that again’. Is wanting to repeat that a trap or just a trap if I take that thought to be significant?
Thanks for such a sweet site.
-Leslie

Mary said...

Hi Leslie,
I think you answered your own question. The one who wants to "do that again" is also a thought, believed in....but who believes in thoughts? What believes in the "me?" Notice what is here....regardless of thought appearing or not. A "trap" is also a thought...

You are right on!

Thanks for sharing, and for visiting!

Love,
Mary

Leslie said...

Thanks Mary. Letting go of labeling certain thoughts as high/low or good/bad also seems necessary. There was a student (I work in a school) who walked in and hung around in a pesky way until I booted her out. I was getting hung up later in thinking that had I 'accepted' what 'is' I wouldn't have done that. Unconditional acceptance must mean absence as one would otherwise go pretty batty in thoughts of good/bad, right/wrong etc. Who would draw the line in the sand and where would it be drawn?!?!

Mary said...

Exactly....and you know, acceptance AND booting out happen sometimes! With or without thoughts which later say, "you shouldn't have done that, etc."

Thoughts of good/bad come and go....they are significant for "me" only....what it is which sees this back and forth motion, this story of me unfolding?

Much love,
Mary

Leslie said...

Thanks Mary. I sure hope it's unfolding :^) It seems as though, when there is clarity, there is no place for those afterwards commentaries to spring from as there was no place that the stuff landed on.
Thanks again. It seems as though one wouldn't really need all these pointers but I sure do love reading them.
Love,
-Leslie

Mary said...

A pointer, a twinkling star, a blade of grass....all lovely appearances! All reminders of YOU! ;-))

Thank you for sharing, Leslie...glad you enjoy the site and feel free to contact me or share anytime..

Love,
Mary

Leslie said...

Thank you Mary. That's a bloody miracle when something pops out as you...this morning the chimes outside offered a morning embrace.

Maury said...

life flows with thought...or life flows without thought..?

I notice thoughts taking credit for what is done, right after the physical movement has begun.

It is most obvious in the shower when it's time to get out. Something senses the movement towards the handle and immediately thought jumps in and says, "I've decided to get out of the shower now." But the decision had already been made, and thought was just usurping the role of deciding.

Of course, it's the same with watering plants.